Design your own Valuable Agile Retrospectives with the retrospective exercises toolbox
Agile Retrospectives are a great way for teams to continuously improve their way of working. Getting actions out of a retrospective that are doable, and getting them done helps teams to learn and improve continuously.
Teams use retrospective exercises within agile frameworks like Scrum, Lean, SAFe, XP, DAD, LeSS, Nexus or Kanban to find the vital few improvement actions. Deploying suitable exercises helps teams to get more business value out of agile retrospectives.
Note: I’m an affiliate for the tools included in this toolbox, if you visit their website via the above links and sign up then I will receive a commission.
Making your Agile Retrospectives more valuable
Do you want to spice up your agile retrospective? I give public and in-house workshops where you can learn different retrospective exercises and practice your facilitation skills:
Delivering Value with Agile Training is a two-day training where you will learn how to apply agile throughout the organization to improve organizational agility.January 1, 2019 - December 31, 2019 at Puzzle Software
I'm giving the workshop Improving Organizational Agility in London on May 9, 2019, in collaboration with Agile Games Workshop.May 9, 2019 at De Morgan House
I'm giving my workshop Increasing Agility with Retrospectives at the ACE! conference on May 22 in Krakow, Poland.May 22, 2019 at Studio Coworking
I'm giving a full day Agility Workshop - Leveraging the benefits of Retrospectives at DevOps Conference 2019 Berlin on June 14, 2019.June 14, 2019 at Mercure Hotel MOA Berlin
I'm giving the workshop Making Agile Work for You at eXperience Agile 2019. Ticket sales has started, sign up now!October 1, 2019 at EDP Headquarters
I give private in-house workshops, which I tailor to the specific situation and needs of your company. These workshops help teams and organizations to increase their effectiveness and agility and to deliver more value. Contact me to discuss the possibilities!
More exercises for your Agile Retrospectives
The successful book Getting Value out of Agile Retrospectives – A Toolbox of Retrospective Exercises written by Luis Gonçalves and Ben Linders contains many exercises that you can use to facilitate retrospectives, supported with the “why”, “what” and “how” of retrospectives, the business value and benefits that they can bring you, and advice for introducing and improving retrospectives.
Agile Retrospective Tools
In my webshop, I provide books and tools that you can use in your retrospectives and that can help you to improve your facilitation skills:
Sources of Retrospective Exercises
- Agile Retrospective Resource Wiki
- Retromat by Corinna Baldauf
- Agile Retrospectives eBook Bundle 6 great books on Agile Retrospectives with a discount!
- Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great by Esther Derby and Diana Larson
- Project Retrospectives: a Handbook for team reviews by Norman L Kerth
- The Retrospective Handbook by Patrick Kua
- Fun Retrospectives by Taina Caetano, Paulo Caroli and Glauber Ramos
- Innovation Games by Luke Hohmann
- Agile games on TastyCupcakes
- Retrospective techniques for coaches, Scrum masters, and other facilitators
- Agile Retrospective Kickstarter by Alexey Krivitsky
- Liberating Structures
- Games from Play14
- 101werkvormen door Hugo Bakker
Books with Retrospective Tips and Exercises
Tools for remote/distributed retrospectives
- Retrium– run effective retrospectives with Retrium
- TeamRetro – Agile retrospectives made easy, effective, and engaging
Note: I’m an affiliate for the above tools, if you visit their website via the above links and sign up then I will receive a commission.
- Lino– Sticky notes
- TeamMood – NikoNiko app for capturing team mood
- Senseitool– with follow up of actions
- Groupmap– remote brainstorming & feedback
- Goreflect– Whiteboard style retrospectives
- Realtime Board – Visual collaboration platform
- IdeaBoardz – Collect what went well & didn’t go well
- FunRetro – Collect input with a customizable board
- Stormboard – Online Brainstorming & Collaboration
- Scrum Toolkit – Scrum retrospective in distributed teams
- Weave – Collaboration platform with serious games
- RetroTool – Free tool for remote retrospectives
- Retrospectives from SoftwareDevTools – AddOn for Atlassian
- Scrumile – empowers your teams to be more efficient and effective
- Parabol – make good teams great
- Sprintboard – Free retro boards for agile Scrum developers
- Reetro – Retrospectives made easier
- Retrospective Poker Cards by Scrummastered / Daria Bagina
- ScatterSpoke – Improving the way teams improve
Tools that are no longer supported
- Instant Agenda – to turn your retrospectives into team improvement (shut down Nov 5, 2018)
Feel free to contact me to learn how to improve your agile retrospectives to get more value from doing them.
Last updated: March 21, 2019. More exercises will follow, stay tuned!