You can use this retrospective exercises toolbox to design your own valuable agile retrospectives.
Agile Retrospectives are a great way for teams to continuously improve their way of working. Getting actions out of a retrospective that are doable, and getting them done helps teams to learn and improve continuously.
Teams use retrospective exercises within agile frameworks like Scrum, Lean, SAFe, XP, DAD, LeSS, Nexus or Kanban to find the vital few improvement actions. Deploying suitable exercises helps teams to get more business value out of agile retrospectives.
Making your Agile Retrospectives more valuable
Do you want to spice up your agile retrospective? Attend my workshops on Valuable Agile Retrospectives or Increasing Organizational Agility with Retrospectives to learn how to adopt agile retrospectives and become agile in an agile way!
More exercises for your agile retrospectives
The successful book Getting Value out of Agile Retrospectives – A Toolbox of Retrospective Exercises written by Luis Gonçalves and Ben Linders contains many exercises that you can use to facilitate retrospectives, supported with the “why”, “what” and “how” of retrospectives, the business value and benefits that they can bring you, and advice for introducing and improving retrospectives.
Sources of Retrospective Exercises
- Agile Retrospective Resource Wiki
- Retromat by Corinna Baldauf
- Agile Retrospectives eBook Bundle 6 great books on Agile Retrospectives with a discount!
- Agile Retrospectives: Making good Teams Great by Esther Derby and Diana Larson
- Project Retrospectives: a Handbook for team reviews by Norman L Kerth
- The Retrospective Handbook by Patrick Kua
- Fun Retrospectives by Taina Caetano, Paulo Caroli and Glauber Ramos
- Innovation Games by Luke Hohmann
- Agile games on TastyCupcakes
- Retrospective techniques for coaches, Scrum masters and other facilitators
- Agile Retrospective Kickstarter by Alexey Krivitsky
Books with Retrospective Tips and Exercises
Tools for remote/distributed retrospectives
- Lino– Sticky notes
- NikoNiko– Capture team mood
- Retrium– different retrospective exercises
- Senseitool– with follow up of actions
- Groupmap– remote brainstorming & feedback
- Goreflect– Whiteboard style retrospectives
- Realtime Board – Visual collaboration platform
- IdeaBoardz – Collect what went well & didn’t go well
- FunRetro – Collect input with a customizable board
- Stormboard – Online Brainstorming & Collaboration
- Scrum Toolkit – Scrum retrospective in distributed teams
- Weave – Collaboration platform with serious games
I give public workshops where you can learn different retrospective exercises and practice your facilitation skills:
Upcoming public workshops
In the workshop Valuable Agile Retrospectives for Teams in Istanbul on May 31 you will try out different retrospective exercises and learn how to effectively facilitate retrospectives in agile teams. More →May 31, 2017 at Agile Mentor Academy
I give private in-house workshops, which I tailor to the specific situation and needs of your company. These workshops help teams and organizations to increase their effectiveness and agility and to deliver more value. Contact me to discuss the possibilities!
Feel free to contact me to learn how to improve your agile retrospectives to get more value from doing them.
Last updated: March 24, 2017. More exercises will follow, stay tuned!