You can use this retrospective exercises toolbox to design your own valuable agile retrospectives.
Agile Retrospectives are a great way for teams to continuously improve their way of working. Getting actions out of a retrospective that are doable, and getting them done helps teams to learn and improve continuously.
Teams use retrospective exercises within agile frameworks like Scrum, Lean, SAFe, XP, DAD, LeSS, Nexus or Kanban to find the vital few improvement actions. Deploying suitable exercises helps teams to get more business value out of agile retrospectives.
Making your Agile Retrospectives more valuable
Do you want to spice up your agile retrospective? Attend my workshops on Valuable Agile Retrospectives or Increasing Organizational Agility with Retrospectives to learn how to adopt agile retrospectives and become agile in an agile way!
More exercises for your agile retrospectives
The successful book Getting Value out of Agile Retrospectives – A Toolbox of Retrospective Exercises written by Luis Gonçalves and Ben Linders contains many exercises that you can use to facilitate retrospectives, supported with the “why”, “what” and “how” of retrospectives, the business value and benefits that they can bring you, and advice for introducing and improving retrospectives.
Sources of Retrospective Exercises
- Agile Retrospective Resource Wiki
- Retromat by Corinna Baldauf
- Agile Retrospectives eBook Bundle 6 great books on Agile Retrospectives with a discount!
- Agile Retrospectives: Making good Teams Great by Esther Derby and Diana Larson
- Project Retrospectives: a Handbook for team reviews by Norman L Kerth
- The Retrospective Handbook by Patrick Kua
- Fun Retrospectives by Taina Caetano, Paulo Caroli and Glauber Ramos
- Innovation Games by Luke Hohmann
- Agile games on TastyCupcakes
- Retrospective techniques for coaches, Scrum masters and other facilitators
- Agile Retrospective Kickstarter by Alexey Krivitsky
Books with Retrospective Tips and Exercises
Tools for remote/distributed retrospectives
- Lino– Sticky notes
- NikoNiko– Capture team mood
- Retrium– different retrospective exercises
- Senseitool– with follow up of actions
- Groupmap– remote brainstorming & feedback
- Goreflect– Whiteboard style retrospectives
- Realtime Board – Visual collaboration platform
- IdeaBoardz – Collect what went well & didn’t go well
- FunRetro – Collect input with a customizable board
- Stormboard – Online Brainstorming & Collaboration
- Scrum Toolkit – Scrum retrospective in distributed teams
- Weave – Collaboration platform with serious games
- RetroTool – Free tool for remote retospectives
I give public workshops where you can learn different retrospective exercises and practice your facilitation skills:
Upcoming public workshops
In conjunction with Agile Greece I'm giving in-house workshops in Athens on Getting More out of Agile and Lean in the week when the summit takes place. More →September 21, 2017 - September 23, 2017 at
I will be playing the Agile Self-assessment Game with teams at Lean Agile Scotland in a 90 minute mini-workshop More →October 4, 2017 - October 6, 2017 at John McIntyre Conference Centre
Join my Workshop Getting More out of Agile and Lean in London Oct 17-18 to learn how to effectively apply agile practices for teams and their stakeholders More →October 17, 2017 - October 18, 2017 at London (TBA)
I will give a mini-workshop Dealing Effectively with Impediments at Bosnia Agile Day: one-day event that brings world-wide Agile Evangelists, leading Agile experts, practitioners and innovators together to share their experiences, expertise, enthusiasm and knowledge. More →October 21, 2017 at Holiday Hotel
In the workshop Valuable Agile Retrospectives for Teams in Istanbul on November 24 you will try out different retrospective exercises and learn how to effectively facilitate retrospectives in agile teams. More →November 24, 2017 at Agile Mentor Academy
I will be playing the impediment game from my workshop Getting More out of agile and Lean at Lean Kanban France 2017. Also planning to do a full day workshop. Details to be announced. More →November 28, 2017 - November 30, 2017 at MAS
I give private in-house workshops, which I tailor to the specific situation and needs of your company. These workshops help teams and organizations to increase their effectiveness and agility and to deliver more value. Contact me to discuss the possibilities!
Feel free to contact me to learn how to improve your agile retrospectives to get more value from doing them.
Last updated: June 9, 2017. More exercises will follow, stay tuned!