You can use this retrospective exercises toolbox to design your own Valuable Agile Retrospectives.
Agile Retrospectives are a great way for teams to continuously improve their way of working. Getting actions out of a retrospective that are doable, and getting them done helps teams to learn and improve continuously.
Teams use retrospective exercises within agile frameworks like Scrum, Lean, SAFe, XP, DAD, LeSS, Nexus or Kanban to find the vital few improvement actions. Deploying suitable exercises helps teams to get more business value out of agile retrospectives.
Making your Agile Retrospectives more valuable
Do you want to spice up your agile retrospective? Attend my workshops on Valuable Agile Retrospectives or Increasing Organizational Agility with Retrospectives to learn how to adopt agile retrospectives and become agile in an agile way!
More exercises for your Agile Retrospectives
The successful book Getting Value out of Agile Retrospectives – A Toolbox of Retrospective Exercises written by Luis Gonçalves and Ben Linders contains many exercises that you can use to facilitate retrospectives, supported with the “why”, “what” and “how” of retrospectives, the business value and benefits that they can bring you, and advice for introducing and improving retrospectives.
Sources of Retrospective Exercises
- Agile Retrospective Resource Wiki
- Retromat by Corinna Baldauf
- Agile Retrospectives eBook Bundle 6 great books on Agile Retrospectives with a discount!
- Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great by Esther Derby and Diana Larson
- Project Retrospectives: a Handbook for team reviews by Norman L Kerth
- The Retrospective Handbook by Patrick Kua
- Fun Retrospectives by Taina Caetano, Paulo Caroli and Glauber Ramos
- Innovation Games by Luke Hohmann
- Agile games on TastyCupcakes
- Retrospective techniques for coaches, Scrum masters, and other facilitators
- Agile Retrospective Kickstarter by Alexey Krivitsky
Books with Retrospective Tips and Exercises
Tools for remote/distributed retrospectives
- Lino– Sticky notes
- TeamMood – NikoNiko app for capturing team mood
- Retrium– different retrospective exercises
- Senseitool– with follow up of actions
- Groupmap– remote brainstorming & feedback
- Goreflect– Whiteboard style retrospectives
- Realtime Board – Visual collaboration platform
- IdeaBoardz – Collect what went well & didn’t go well
- FunRetro – Collect input with a customizable board
- Stormboard – Online Brainstorming & Collaboration
- Scrum Toolkit – Scrum retrospective in distributed teams
- Weave – Collaboration platform with serious games
- RetroTool – Free tool for remote retrospectives
- Retrospectives from SoftwareDevTools – AddOn for Atlassian
- Scrumile – empowers your teams to be more efficient and effective
I give public workshops where you can learn different retrospective exercises and practice your facilitation skills:
Upcoming public workshops
Learn new exercises for your agile retrospectives, find out how to create a safe environment, and improve your facilitation skills in the workshop Valuable Agile Retrospectives in Prague on September 11.September 11, 2018 at Aguarra Training Center Kladno
Are you interested in learning practices for teams and their stakeholders to develop the right products, deliver faster, increase quality, and create happy high performing teams? Come to my workshop Getting more out of Agile and Lean in Prague on September 12!September 12, 2018 at Aguarra Training Center Kladno
I give private in-house workshops, which I tailor to the specific situation and needs of your company. These workshops help teams and organizations to increase their effectiveness and agility and to deliver more value. Contact me to discuss the possibilities!
Feel free to contact me to learn how to improve your agile retrospectives to get more value from doing them.
Last updated: March 18, 2018. More exercises will follow, stay tuned!