I deliver services for Software Development, IT and R&D organizations and professionals all around the world, by helping them becoming more effective and efficient, and increase the business value that they deliver in their organization, and to their customers and stakeholders. (Voor Nederlands, zie mijn Diensten).
My strength is sustainable improvement: Helping people, teams, and organizations to get better at what they are doing and making changes stick so that they get lasting value.
My services consist of workshops, training, public speaking, webinars, writing, consultancy, advice, mentoring and (remote) coaching on:
- applying agile software development and management practices
- implementing continuous improvement in the delivery chain
- measuring, analyzing & improving quality of products and services
- improving how professionals collaborate and communicate
- enabling professional development and a learning organization
I regularly provide workshops and training sessions and conference keynotes, talks, and tutorials (you can find the one’s that I’ve done in my past events and my publications). I also give webinars and provide coaching (on-site and remote).
I give private in-house workshops, which I tailor to the specific situation and needs of your company. These workshops help teams and organizations to increase their effectiveness and agility and to deliver more value. Contact me to discuss the possibilities!
Some examples of workshops and training that I do are:
- Valuable Agile Retrospectives – General audience
- Getting More out of Agile and Lean – for Scrum Masters, Product Owners, managers
- Increasing Organisational Agility with Retrospectives – for agile coaches, managers
- Spice up your Retrospectives – for Scrum Masters, agile coaches & Facilitators
- Getting Business Value out of Agile Retrospectives – for C-level executives
- Continuous Improvement in Remote / Distributed Teams – for agile coaches, managers
- Sustainable Improvement – for teams & managers
- Agile Coaching and Developing Coaching Skills – for agile coaches, HR & managers
- Self Assessing how Agile you are – for teams & managers
- Increasing the Value of Agile – for managers & C-level executives
- Business Value of Root Cause Analysis – for teams & facilitators
I’m also an experienced organizer and facilitator of events, networks and meetups, an active member of several networks on Agile, Lean and Quality, and a frequent conference speaker (keynotes, tutorials, mini workshops and regular talks). See my presentations.
Contact me to talk about what I can do for you and your conference or organization.
Ben provided training for our Product Owners and Scrum Masters and it was a great experience for all involved. I was familiar with some of Ben’s publications prior to working with him, but I was still impressed by his vast knowledge, professionalism and genuine interest in understanding our pain points in order to tailor the course to address our specific needs. I would recommended Ben services, to any team that wants to genuinely improve.
Costa Constantinou, Software Engineering Manager at UTX Technologies LTD
Ben Linders has significant experience in Application Development and CMMi. I had an excellent learning session from Ben on Business Focused CMMI, Process Deployment, and Agile Process Improvement. Ben is very eager to share his knowledge and experiences. Ben has published many papers which are useful and can be easily applied in various scenarios.
Kaushik Khakhar, Chief Enterprise Architect and CTO at Krish InfoCom
I have known Ben Linders for many years and more recently had the pleasure of working closely with him to organise three co-located conferences in Netherlands focused on software development and process improvement. Ben has been fantastic collaborator in the event – his deep knowledge of the subject matter, latest trends and the marketplace in general is impressive and it is clear he has a genuine passion for better process improvement.
Ben is one of the first people we contacted with the idea of holding conferences in mainland Europe – right from the start he was an invaluable source of sound advice; always open and willing to share his thoughts and ideas, culminating in him chairing the Process Improvement conference, presenting and leading the experts panel. Ben is a super guy to work with and I highly recommend him.
Alec McCutcheon, Owner / Director at UNICOM Seminars Ltd organisers
I have a broad international experience in agile, lean, quality and process improvement and organizational development, as a coach/mentor, change (project) manager, quality manager, trainer, auditor,and adviser. Based on this I work with organizations as adviser, coach and mentor (both on-site and remote).
Below you can find links to the stories which show what I do and how I do it. I use storytelling as a way of sharing my experience with my readers (see about this website). Since my blog is bilingual, some stories are English, others are Dutch.
Contact me to talk about what I can do for you and your organization.
I’ve had the opportunity to work with Ben for our unit’s quality improvement initiative, and I’m glad to recommend the commendable work Ben has done towards it. Right from the initial kick-off phase till the end and during the follow up phase, Ben’s approach and deliverables are top notch. The way the assignment was handled per the contract and the deliverables were really satisfactory and the PDM method adopted also brought in good results in terms of visualization and also to act on the issues. This also set the base on handling potential future bugs. To summarize, Ben’s work and the PDM are value addition towards the improvement initiative we’ve had towards quality control. Looking forward to work with you again.
Ravi Chandran, General Manager at Ericsson India Global Services
Ben’s work with us as an Affiliate here at the SEI has been quite valuable for all concerned. He brought considerable practical insight to the work that he instigated with us on modeling quality factors and process performance. Moreover, his excellent work ethic is matched by his proficiency with the measurement and simulation methods that underlie that work. He is a very quick learner too, as evidenced by the ease which he mastered the survey research methods and tools that we used in support of the work.
Dennis Goldenson, Senior Member of the Technical Staff, Carnegie Mellon University, Software Engineering Institute
During the time when we tried to implement Agile for the Multimedia Business unit at Ericsson, I had the opportunity to work with Ben looking at way to simplify the implementation. Ben was a great consultant to work with, we used Agile even when we developed process and Ben was always on time for his part of delivery. He is quite knowledgeable with Agile and bold in his ideas to make the process simple. The “Ericsson flavored” Agile is now implemented accross the board in Multimedia group of several hundred SW developers and Ben was a big contributor to this effort.
I would recommend Ben to any SW companies wanting to move to Agile to improve time to customer and at the same time to ensure a high level of quality.
Nam Nguyen, Management Consultant at Agile System Engineering (ASE)
By having applied Agile, Lean, CMMI and other frameworks, I have practiced a broad spectrum of solutions which can improve the way you develop your software, and manage it. I have helped organizations with:
- Applying agile and lean practices: Becoming Agile and Lean, Projectmatig werken met agile teams, Managen van Agile teams vereist Agile leiderschap and Lean software ontwikkeling: Introductie en verminderen van verspillingen
- Delivering value to customers: A customer is a customer
- Managing project portfolios: Managing and reporting agile projects, Besturen van Agile projecten, hoe doe je dat?
- Deploying measurements and improve decision taking: Not everything that can be counted, counts, The paradox of choice: Why more is less, and Lies, damn lies and statistics.
Improving an organization never stop, it’s a journey. How do you start it, decide where to go, and reap the benefits along the way? Solutions that I have done for organizations are:
- Improving the way organizations improve: Short Cycled Improvement: Observe and Change, Uncovering better ways to do process improvement, Golden rules for Agile process improvement, Using Scrum for process improvement and Verander Manifesto
- Use proven improvement frameworks to increase business value: CMMI Roadmaps: Improving IT for the business, CMMI V1.3: Combining acquisition, development and services, CMMI V1.3: Deploying the CMMI, Borgen van veranderingen, hoe doe je dat?
- Positive approaches for improvement: Devil’s or angel’s advocate: Which role do you prefer?, Oplossingsgericht werken, da’s SIMPLE en practisch,
- Manage the process improvement journey: Communication: Making quality and process improvement visible, Process improvement: The agile way!, Een goed voorbeeld helpt bij verandering, Een verandering leiden, wat heb je daarbij nodig? Voorbeeldgedrag!
You want to increase the quality of software products and lower maintenance costs? Reduce the number of defects, and manage your technical debt? I have implemented quality programs in smaller and larger organization:
- Everybody can and wants to deliver quality: What Drives Quality?, Doctor, what’s wrong with my software?, Quality is understanding why and deciding how and the Real QA Manifesto
- Find defects earlier, improve reviews and testing: Measuring and controlling product quality and Steering product quality in agile teams
- Using Agile and Lean to improve quality: Quality software with Agile teams, Betere productkwaliteit met Agile
- Apply quality practices: Reduce software maintenance: Throw bad code away!, Business benefits of reviews and Improving code quality with pair programming
- Prevent defects: Business reason for root cause analysis, Root cause analysis: Practical Tools, Root cause analysis in CMMI V1.3 and Getting to the root cause of problems
To get products developed and delivered, professionals have to collaborate in teams, and between teams. And develop effective ways to coordinate their work, and communicate. I have helped organizations with:
- Building teams: Establishing and maintaining stable teams, Kies je voor de professional of voor het team? and Implementing agile with the People-CMM
- Stimuating Self Organizing: “Een “Self-Organizing Organization, hoe werkt dat?
- Coaching teams and professionals: You can observe a lot by just watching, Als je goed kijkt, zie je meer
- Inspiring change: Communication * behavior = commitment
- Open Spaces: Ervaringen met open spaces, Open spaces: Betrokken medewerkers bij verandering
It’s all about people, the professionals that make the teams and organizations. Setting the right conditions to reflect and learn:
- Learning and sharing experiences: Skills are crucial for a team to be successful, Sharing knowledge is power, Learn from the guilds, Veranderen doe je door te leren
- Using personal strengths, solution focused: Are your professionals empowered?, Oplossingsgericht werken, de medewerker als expert, Veranderen vanuit je sterktes, da’s anders
- Professional development: Investing in professionals: The People-CMM, Developing your workforce, what’s the benefit?