Design your own Valuable Agile Retrospectives with the retrospective exercises toolbox
Agile Retrospectives are a great way for teams to continuously improve their way of working. Getting actions out of a retrospective that are doable, and getting them done, helps teams to learn and improve continuously.
Teams use retrospective exercises within agile frameworks like Scrum, Lean, SAFe, XP, DAD, LeSS, Nexus or Kanban to find the vital few improvement actions. Deploying suitable exercises helps teams to get more business value out of agile retrospectives.
Exercises for Agile Retrospectives
Note: I’m an affiliate for some of the tools included in this toolbox, if you visit their website via the above links and sign up then I will receive a commission.
Making your Agile Retrospectives more valuable
Do you want to spice up your agile retrospective? I give public and in-house workshops where you can learn different retrospective exercises and practice your facilitation skills:
Learn to apply agile throughout your organization to develop the right products, deliver faster with better quality, and improve organizational agility at DevOpsCon London, April 21, 2020.April 21, 2020 at Park Plaza Victoria
Learn new exercises for your agile retrospectives, find out how to create a safe environment, and improve your facilitation skills in the workshop Valuable Agile Retrospectives for Teams at DevOpsCon Singapore, March 25, 2020!September 9, 2020 at Suntec Singapore
I give private in-house workshops, which I tailor to the specific situation and needs of your company. These workshops help teams and organizations to increase their effectiveness and agility and to deliver more value. Contact me to discuss the possibilities!
More exercises for your Agile Retrospectives
The successful book Getting Value out of Agile Retrospectives – A Toolbox of Retrospective Exercises written by Luis Gonçalves and Ben Linders contains many exercises that you can use to facilitate retrospectives, supported with the “why”, “what” and “how” of retrospectives, the business value and benefits that they can bring you, and advice for introducing and improving retrospectives.
Agile Retrospective Tools
In my webshop, I provide books and tools that you can use in your retrospectives and that can help you to improve your facilitation skills:
Download these tools from my webshop, print them, and get started to make your agile retrospectives more valuable!
Sources of Retrospective Exercises
- Agile Retrospective Resource Wiki
- Retromat by Corinna Baldauf
- Agile Retrospectives eBook Bundle 6 great books on Agile Retrospectives with a discount!
- Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great by Esther Derby and Diana Larson
- Project Retrospectives: a Handbook for team reviews by Norman L Kerth
- The Retrospective Handbook by Patrick Kua
- Fun Retrospectives by Taina Caetano, Paulo Caroli and Glauber Ramos
- Innovation Games by Luke Hohmann
- Agile games on TastyCupcakes
- Retrospective techniques for coaches, Scrum masters, and other facilitators
- Agile Retrospective Kickstarter by Alexey Krivitsky
- Liberating Structures
- Games from Play14
- 101werkvormen door Hugo Bakker
- 40 ideas to spice up your retrospective by Ralph van Roosmalen
- Retrospective Game by Mindful Team
Books with Retrospective Tips and Exercises
Tools for remote/distributed retrospectives
- Retrium– run effective retrospectives with Retrium
- Weave – Collaboration platform with serious games
- TeamRetro – Agile retrospectives made easy, effective, and engaging
Note: I’m an affiliate for the above tools, if you visit their website via the above links and sign up then I will receive a commission.
- Lino – Sticky notes
- TeamMood – app for capturing team mood
- Senseitool – with follow up of actions
- Groupmap – remote brainstorming & feedback
- Goreflect – Whiteboard style retrospectives
- Realtime Board – Visual collaboration platform
- IdeaBoardz – Collect what went well & didn’t go well
- FunRetro – Collect input with a customizable board
- Stormboard – Online Brainstorming & Collaboration
- Scrum Toolkit – Scrum retrospective in distributed teams
- RetroTool – Free tool for remote retrospectives
- Retrospectives from SoftwareDevTools – AddOn for Atlassian
- Scrumile – empowers your teams to be more efficient and effective
- Parabol – make good teams great
- Sprintboard – Free retro boards for agile Scrum developers
- Reetro – Retrospectives made easier
- Retrospective Poker Cards by Scrummastered / Daria Bagina
- ScatterSpoke – Improving the way teams improve
- Dottie – tracks the happiness of your team in just 10 seconds each day
- bttr – Improve yourself, improve your team
- RetroBox – Slack app for bias-free and focused agile retrospectives
- RetroBoard – Premium Retrospectives Your Team Will Love
- Neatro – Simple retrospective tool for Agile Teams
Tools that are no longer supported
- Instant Agenda – to turn your retrospectives into team improvement (shut down Nov 5, 2018)
Feel free to contact me to learn how to improve your agile retrospectives to get more value from doing them.
Last updated: March 6, 2020. More exercises will follow, stay tuned!